Kinsco Csibi

Sandor and I have been in a long distance relationship for 4.5 years now. We met back in 2005 at a Hungarian New Years Eve ball in Welland, Ontario. In 2009, we started driving 269 miles to see each other every other weekend and we look forward to turning this long distance relationship into a marriage. I was originally born in Transylvania and moved to the United States with my family in October of 2001. We had been dating for two years in October of 2011, and I was in the process of receiving my American citizenship. The Hungarian Hall in Toronto had been sold and Sandor had been trying to convince me to attend the final event, the annual Szekler ball. This turned out to be one of the largest events with over 600 people attending. I told Sandor that there was no way that I would attend as my Greencard was going to expire on the Monday after the ball. At the time my paperwork was submitted and I was awaiting my American citizenship. Two weeks before the ball I received my American citizenship. Sandor had already bought tickets to the Ball and now had to figure out how to get me a passport within two weeks. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to obtain a passport, but Sandor figured out that in Detroit they will issue a passport in 24 hours. The weekend before the ball, we went to Detroit to obtain my passport. We went on a Friday afternoon, and they told me that it would be ready by Monday and I would have to go and pick it up. The Tuesday before the ball is when I received the phone call that my passport was ready. I thought that it was odd that my parents were going to this ball, along with my brother and Sandor’s entire family. He and I usually go to these Hungarian balls because we love to dance and have a nice Hungarian cooked meal. In the middle of all my passport troubles, the exam that I was supposed to take the Wednesday before the ball got moved to the Monday after. I was still going to go to the ball, after all this trouble, but I was just really stressed out because it was a big exam. The day of the ball, I was studying for my exam while Sandor was running around getting ready and doing very secretive things, but I was too busy to try to figure out what he was up to. Sandor lives about an hour from Toronto, so after studying all day I wanted to chit chat with him during our car ride to the ball. He was persistent that I study on the way there, but I didn’t want to. So what he did instead of talking to me is cranked up the music so he wouldn’t have to talk to me. I thought it was odd, but I just went with it. During dinner, everyone was acting so strange and talking very nervously. Sandor barely touched his food, and he always has a good appetite. I asked him if everything was okay, and as he said yes sweat dripped down the side of his face. I noticed that he was still wearing his tux coat and it was warm in the hall. I asked him to take his jacket off since he was sweating, and he wouldn’t do it. I started taking it off for him, and then he snapped at me and told me to leave him alone. I was taken back a bit, but since everyone was acting strange I figured I was just missing something. It turned out later that the ring was in his coat pocket. A few minutes after dinner, we both walked to the bathroom and he said that he would wait for me right outside. Three minutes later, I come out and he wasn’t there. I figured he went to go get a drink. He wasn’t in the bar either. Hmm strange. As I walked back into the hall his best friend Christina handed me our door prize tickets and told me that Sandor had gone to the bathroom. I took the tickets and sat down next to my friend Zsuzsa. I thought to myself, I usually don’t win anything, why should I bother looking at the numbers so I just put the tickets on the table not paying attention to the raffle. Once they were calling out the numbers, Christina was waving her tickets in my face so I would look at mine. I was like okay, okay I will look at mine. And what do you know? I won the first raffle. I thought I won a nice bottle of wine, but on my way up to the stage, I saw the MC grab a huge vase of roses. I was thinking to myself “Oh great, how am I going to take these across the border?” As soon as the MC gave me the flowers, Sandor came out from behind the stage with a microphone in his hand shaking. Then it hit me “Oh my God, is this really happening? Here? Now?” Throughout his whole speech, all I could think about was not crying so he could get through his speech. People had no idea what was going on for the first few minutes, but as soon as he dropped to one knee, all 600 people were whistling and cheering. I can’t even describe what I felt at that moment, but I instantly knew my answer was Yes. I was speechless so I just kept on shaking my head without saying a word. The rest of the night was filled with lots of hugs and kisses and a few tears of joy. It was definitely a night to remember for the rest of our lives.